02-03-2009 Tuesday

B-2 coffee HC CO AS
SF Tang/2 T flax seed
2 Healthy Life Toast w/butter
1 egg

L-Local Mexican Restaurant
Chicken Fajitas (no tortilla) w/onion, peppers, cheese, salsa, sour cream
9 chips w/salsa, 4 bites rice

D-spaghetti squash w/No sugar added Hunts hamburger, onion, peppers

WT=240

Sleep= 9 (range 0-10)

Mood=8 (range 0-10)

Five and a half years ago at the age of 49 my brother had a heart attack brought on by a stress test that he was taking. He was fortunate enough (if you can call it that) to have his heart attack while he was right there in the hospital. At that time, he had to be transferred to a larger city several miles away to have stents put in the arteries of his heart. Their was one large artery in his heart that could not be opened so that stents could be placed in it. His heart suffered a lot of damage due to the heart attack and it was a long road to recovery.

After that, the doctors ordered a whole battery of test, if the arteries in his heart were block, then maybe others in his body were too. Sure enough, the arteries in his neck going to his head was also blocked. On the right side it was 70 % blocked and the left was 60 % blocked. They have to do surgery on them when they reach 80% blocked. They would continue to monitor those arteries.

Not long after that my sister and I ran across an article on flax seed and its many wonderful qualities. One of those qualities was to help unblock arteries in the body. So we passed this info onto my brother who immediately started on 2 T. a day. He figured, what the heck, it sure isn't going to hurt him. Something amazing happened at his next ultrasound of his neck. It had improved. Not by much that 1st time, but by the next, then the next it had improved remarkably. It is now only 40 % blocked on the right and 30% blocked on the left. We were ecstatic. We all figured that if it is working on those arteries than it must be working on the ones in the rest of his body. Namely his heart.

So imagine our surprise when my brother went in for another stress test and failed it. We felt like our balloon of hope had just been popped. We was sure the flax seed was our miracle cure. So it was back to that hospital several miles away for another angioplasty and talk of more stents and possibly an open heart surgery. We were all so worried.

That was last Thursday (01-29-09). As you recall I posted a little happy dance saying that my brothers medical procedure turned out better than even the doctors had hoped. When the doctor went in, the stents that were already there looked GREAT. The one large artery in his heart that could not be opened before/could not have stents placed in it, was now cleared. It was opened and stayed open on its own (without the use of stents). The doctor himself came and told us that this was not due to more technoligy now than before, it was due to my brother taking flax seed. He also said his heart is in much better shape than it was 5 1/2 years ago. All from FLAX SEED!!!! That little wonderful brown seed. Could you ever imagine?

I'm sure the people at work are now calling me the crazy flax seed lady behind my back. I have been talking about it til I'm blue in the face. I decided to post this story here as well. If our story can help one person out there than we will be thrilled. My brother made me promise that I would take my flax seed EVERYDAY (which I didn't do before). So you will be seeing it listed from now on.

2 comments:

Harry/JP said...

That's fantastic, Jo! What great news!

It's funny, I was just about to ask you why you were using the flax seeds.

So give us some more details: I'm assuming you're using ground flax seeds? Is that correct? If so, do you grind them fresh or buy a pre-ground product?

I think I need to go out and get me some ... just in case!

Thanks for sharing your brothers success with all of us. :)

NewVision said...

Yes, it is ground or milled flax seed. I usually buy it already ground. We get ours at the local health food store. It's in the refrigerator section.
You can also get it at Walmart, next to the other flours. My hubby loves to make pancakes out of it. LC ones of course.
I'm gonna try to post some pictures and recipes this weekend.
Thanks for stopping by, I'll be looking for flax seed to make an appearance in your blog. :)